Coverings Reports on 2021 Tile Trends, Hosting Webinar on Feb. 23
Arlington, VA, February 19, 2021––Coverings has announced the 2021 tile trends forecasted by three leading international tile associations and sponsors of Coverings, Ceramics of Italy/Confindustria Ceramica, Ceramic Tile Manufacturers Association of Spain (ASCER)/Tile of Spain, and Tile Council of North America (TCNA), in commemoration of National Tile Day, which is February 23.
Alena Capra, Certified Master Kitchen & Bath Designer and Coverings spokesperson, collaborated with Coverings’ sponsors to gather and forecast the top ten tile trends for 2021, to celebrate National Tile Day and highlight the key benefits and applications of ceramic tile. These benefits include the material’s durability, sustainability, safety, versatility, affordability, aesthetic appeal, and hygienic traits.
Capra, along with a panel of tile industry insiders, will present this year’s new and unique trends from around the globe during the February 23 Coverings Connected webinar session, “2021 Tile Trends,” which will take place from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. EST. Registration to attend the webinar is complementary.
The following tile trends are a preview of the newest and most admired styles to be discovered during the February 23 Coverings Connected webinar, and in-person at Coverings 2021, July 7 to 9 in Orlando, Florida.
• Flecked Effect: This trend features a kaleidoscope of colors or floating fragments of shapes, where the patterns lend a burst of energy to floors and walls. From chunky to fine flecks, and large slabs to smaller tiles, the flecked effect offers endless, unique style options.
• Gorgeous Greens: Using shades of green with tile textures reminiscent of nature will be a popular approach to bring the outdoors inside during 2021.
• Soft Textures: With a growing preference for toned-down designs, look to trending tile options that offer softer and more natural looks as people yearn for a connection to nature in 2021.
• High Gloss: Glossy tiles offer eye-catching shine and durability for areas that need to be cleaned often, which is why the high gloss trend is expected to make a big comeback this year.
• In Vein: Expect to see large-scale veining in 2021. Marble-look designs are evolving; some have fewer wide, riverlike veins with flowing movement and clean edges, while others have more angular, frenetic looks.
• XXL: Extra-large ceramic tiles are increasing in popularity this year. This trend enables countless applications and design possibilities, with large-format tiles that come in sizes up to 5.25 feet by 10.5 feet, and thicknesses ranging from 3.5 millimeters to 2 centimeters.
• Biophilia: Thanks to advancements in high-definition printing, ceramic tile can be used to achieve biophilic design, which has been found to support cognitive function, physical health and psychological well-being. Ceramic tile designs are moving to more natural and untreated wood looks, as the timber elements evoke calm environments and a sense of nature.
• Large Hexes: Non-rectangular tile styles, specifically hexagons, are growing to monumental sizes in 2021. Hexagons as large as two feet in diameter can add tons of drama to a space.
• Patterned Tile Concrete Lookalikes: Concrete-look tiles will continue to serve as a muse for architects and manufacturers this year, with playful patterns and infinite laying schemes that add a dramatic impact on any indoor or outdoor space.
• Muted Tones: 2021 will see a strong rise in muted tile tones, such as soft blues and greens, that create soothing and relaxing spaces.