Starnet Announces Winners of 22nd Annual Design Awards
Columbus, OH, June 3, 2020-Starnet Commercial Flooring has announced the winners of the 22nd Annual Starnet Design Awards. The awards, which were held in a virtual environment for the first time this year, celebrate the dynamic partnerships between Starnet Members, vendor partners and the A&D community in delivering remarkable commercial flooring experiences across the United States and Canada.
The most prestigious award, the 2020 Grand Prize, was presented to Starnet Member Cornerstone Commercial Flooring (below) for its work on Park Elementary School in East Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Grand Prize Winner | Gold in Education
In addition to winning the 2020 Grand Prize, Starnet Member Cornerstone Commercial Flooring took home the Gold in Education for its work on Park Elementary School in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
• Starnet Member: Cornerstone Commercial Flooring
• Architect: Coleman Partners Architects
• Starnet Preferred Vendors: Armstrong Flooring, Daltile, Mannington Commercial, MAPEI, Spray-Lock, Tarkett Johnsonite
Gold in Hospitality/Public Space
Just as impressive for its own bold yet cohesive flooring choices, the Gold in Hospitality was awarded to Starnet Member Consolidated Carpet for the company’s work on Tarkett’s landmark Atelier in New York City. This sophisticated, co-creation workspace serves as a source of inspiration for the architecture and design community and showcases the brand’s innovative flooring products.
• Starnet Member: Consolidated Carpet
• Architect: Huntsman Architectural Group
• Starnet Preferred Vendors: Schönox, Spray-Lock, Tarkett Tandus Centiva, Tarkett Johnsonite, Tarkett
Gold in Mixed-Use Developments
The winner of the Mixed-Use Development category is home to the movers and shakers of Atlanta, Georgia. Completed by Starnet Member DCO Commercial Floors, The Oleander is a luxury apartment complex featuring high-grade materials and amenities making it anything but an average apartment complex.
• Starnet Member: DCO Commercial Floors
• Architect: Dwell Design Studio
• Starnet Preferred Vendors: American Olean, Daltile, Ecore Commercial, Leggett & Platt, MAPEI, Marazzi Tarkett Johnsonite
Gold in Corporate
The Gold winner in Corporate is a bold, industrial design that challenges one’s preconceived notions of what constitutes an office space. Say hello to The Idea Garage, completed by Starnet Member ReSource Colorado.
• Starnet Member: ReSource Colorado
• Architect: Studio B2SJ
• Starnet Preferred Vendors: ARDEX Americas, Daltile, GrassTex, Henry Adhesives, J+J Flooring Group, MAPEI, Milliken, Roppe, Tarkett Johnsonite, XL Brands
Gold in Healthcare
The Gold winner in Healthcare was awarded to Starnet Member H.J. Martin & Son, Inc. for its work on the St. Vincent Children's Hospital Pediatric Emergency Center in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
• Starnet Member: H.J. Martin & Son
• Architect: Berners Schober
• Starnet Preferred Vendors: Bostik, Tarkett Johnsonite, Tarkett Tandus Centiva, Tarkett, Uzin Utz North America
Gold in Unique Installation
The Gold winner in Unique Installation was awarded to an incredibly complex project completed by Starnet Member Century Floor Space. St. Stephen Catholic Church is a historic parish near Downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan that was in dire need of a new marble floor after decades of daily use and abuse.
• Starnet Member: Century Floor Space
• Architect: David B. Meleca Architects
• Starnet Preferred Vendors: MAPEI, Roppe, Schönox, Spray-Lock, Uzin Utz North America
Gold in People’s Choice
Featuring 15,000 square yards of sheet vinyl, 24,000 square feet of VCT, 3,500 square yards of carpet tile, 3,200 square feet of gymnasium rubber and four miles of contoured base, Floor Systems & Design took home the Gold in this year’s People’s Choice Awards for its work on the Nationwide Children’s Behavioral Health Pavilion. Located in downtown Columbus Ohio, it is America’s largest behavioral health treatment and research center for children and adolescents.
• Starnet Member: Floor Systems & Design
• Architect: NBBJ
• Designer: Nationwide Children’s Behavorial Health Pavilion
• Starnet Preferred Vendors: ARDEX Americas, Armstrong Flooring, MAPEI, Spray-Lock, Tarkett Johnsonite, XL Brands
A panel of architects and designers lent their talent and expertise to this year’s panel:
• Tracy Herzer, IIDA, NCIDQ, LEED AP, WELL AP | senior associate, senior interior designer, The S/L/A/M Collaborative
• Chi-Thien (CT) Nguyen, LEED GA, associate AIA | associate, Elkus Manfredi Architects
• Jane M. Rohde, AIA, FIIDA, ASID, ACHA, CHID, LEED AP BD+C, GGA-EB | principal, JSR
Additionally, John T. McGrath, Jr. served as honorary judge for the Unique Installation Challenge Award. He is the executive director of INSTALL.