Interface Achieves Mission Zero Ahead of Schedule
Atlanta, GA. November 4, 2019-Interface has announced Mission Zero success ahead of its original 2020 target.
Over the past 25 years, the company drove significant improvements across all key sustainability metrics internally and throughout its supply chain to help meet its objectives.
Based on 25 years of effort and commitment in pursuit of sustainability, the commercial flooring company provides a roadmap for other companies to follow in its Lessons for the Future report. It also provides a path to the future for the company's next moonshot, Climate Take Back.
The company has made remarkable progress in these areas over the last 25 years, greatly reducing its footprint in nearly every capacity, including:
* 69% reduction in carbon footprint of Interface carpet tile products
* 96% reduction in Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions globally
* 89% renewable energy use across its factories globally, with 100% renewable electricity
* 99% renewable energy use in U.S. and European manufacturing sites
* 46% reduction in energy use per unit of production to make products globally
* 89% water use reduction per unit of production in factories globally
* 92% reduction of waste to landfill across global business
(Note: All numbers are through 2018 and applicable to the production of Interface carpet tiles only)
The company has now set its sights even higher with Climate Take Back in 2016, which aims to create a movement to reverse global warming. The company is working ardently to develop processes and products that create a positive impact on the world, and in 2018, set out to become a carbon negative company by 2040.