Durkan Names Winners of First Design Contest
Las Vegas, NV, May 20, 2010--The winners of Durkan's first hospitality carpet design contest were revealed at the HD Expo.
Called D*scover, the competition was held in partnership with The Network of the Hospitality Industry. It was established to exhibit the talent of hospitality designers, while contributing toward the education of future designers.
Karen Bradley, marketing coordinator at Boston-based firm Group One Partners, Inc., took the grand prize in the professional category with her floral-inspired patterns. In addition to showing her designs at HD Expo, Bradley will travel to New York City for lunch and a studio tour with top American designer Todd Oldham.
In the student category, organic designs by University of Northern Iowa sophomore Emily Riebkes took top honors. Riebkes said she sought to put nature’s beauty on display, with creations based on the reflections and ripples of water.
Durkan, a brand of the Mohawk Group, received an array of submissions for its inaugural contest and entries were evaluated on concept, presentation and market feasibility by a panel of industry professionals.
Runners up included:
• Kim Hayden Holt, Design & Industry/Second Place Professional;
• Samantha Cash, Deacon Design, Inc./Third Place Professional;
• Carissa Thompson, Designer/Honorable Mention Professional;
• Agatha Strompolos, Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design/Honorable Mention Student;
• Kacie Wasserman, Art Institute of Houston/Honorable Mention Student;
• Ryuehi Minami, Fashion Institute of Technology NYC/ Honorable Mention Student.