Atlanta, GA, April 23, 2013 -- Interface has just released annual data updating its metrics portfolio to include information on progress towards environmental and social goals.
Highlights include updated EcoMetrics data as well as an expanded portfolio of SocioMetrics, including highlights from a project to document sustainability engagement at Interface facilities worldwide, “I Am Mission Zero.”
“As we continue our progress towards Mission Zero, we recognize that our biggest asset in terms of innovation is our people. Our mission is carried out every day in factories around the world and in local communities by people who are bringing Ray Anderson’s sustainability vision to life, yet we didn’t have a way to track or measure that impact,” says Erin Meezan, vice president of sustainability for Interface.
“Over the past two years we have been working to document and celebrate our unique culture and to find ways to continually improve employee engagement, specifically around the idea of accelerating innovation.”
Interface has documentary project called “I Am Mission Zero” that documents the various ways in which the company’s values are manifested in its local markets, and which provided data upon which a social engagement baseline is being
In addition, Interface is updating its EcoMetrics data.
Highlights from the most recent data, Interface said include:
• The carbon footprint of the average Interface product is down 19% since
2008. The reduction was achieved primarily by increasing the use of recycled raw
materials in products and by improving process efficiency to cut required raw
materials and waste. About 70% of the carbon footprint of carpet tile is in the raw materials and manufacturing stage. The remaining 30% is associated with the carpet tile’s delivery and installation, maintenance, and end of life.
• 49% of the total raw materials used by the company in 2012 were recycled or bio-based, including 36% of yarn and 51% of carpet backing.
• In 2012, Interface’s ReEntry 2.0 recycling program diverted 15 million pounds of
carpet and carpet scraps from the landfill, bringing the 18-year total for ReEntry 2.0 to 268 million pounds diverted.
• Energy use per unit of production is down 39% since 1996. Renewable
sources provide 36% of the energy Interface uses.
• Greenhouse gas emissions per unit of production from manufacturing facilities are
down 41% since 1996. Direct use of green electricity in Europe, improved
efficiency and process changes have contributed to this reduction.
• Water intake per unit of production is down 81% since 1996.
• Interface made significant progress toward its pledge to provide EPDs
(Environmental Product Declarations that detail the entire life cycle impact of a
product) on all its standard products. Currently there are 48 registered EPDs for its products made in Europe, US, Australia and Thailand.